Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Baked Zucchini Sticks and Sweet Onion Dip

I found this recipe on Pinterest & had to try it! In fact I went out the very next morning and bought Zucchini to make it. I loved that I had everything else (kinda) @ home to make it! Its not one of those 'Have to go out and buy every single ingredient' kinda recipes!

This recipe has been a little modified by me from the original but I promise, it tastes great!

Okay, so I am new to this whole Blogging so please forgive me- I was so excited about blogging & sharing this recipe that I got so caught up in the making of the Zucchini & Sweet Onion dip that I totally forgot to take pictures until I was like half way through! lol yup... I'm kinda spacey sometimes! Oh and I am a HORRIBLE speller! ...If you have not figured that out already!..

Well Here is the recipe... :)
 (Can you believe on the original site that I got the recipe from I had to scroll and scroll and then scroll some more while I read every single word to find out what ingredients to use. They didn't give an ingredients list. If I ever do that- You tell me whats up!!)

Baked Zucchini Sticks
2 Zucchini's -Cut in half- then take each side and cut into 4ths
1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs (Or 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs)
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
*If you use Planko bread crumbs or any regular bread crumbs add some Italian seasonings*
1 teaspoons of Salt

Sweet Onion Dip
2 Medium Onions
2 tablespoons of Honey
1 tablespoon of Mustard
1 cup of mayonnaise

Okay now this is where I really wish I would have taken step-by-step photos but I think I still did pretty good!

1. Take your zucchini & slice off the ends. Then cut the zucchini in half, then take a half & slice it in 4th's, so you then have 16 slices from 1 Zucchini. You can of course cut them in larger pieces if you would like but the next step is why I decided to cut them thin- so they have a better chance of getting a nice crunch!

2. Place the zucchini sticks into a colander & place it in the sink (or over a bowl) & sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Let them drain for about an hour. (I know... I know... this waiting period stinks but you will be able to start & finish your sweet onion dip while you wait) You will want to make sure you don't skip this step. Zucchini is very moist and by following this step it will help remove some of the access water and will give it more of a crunch after it is baked- also why i made the slices thin, I like CRUNCH.

3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan & add 1 sliced medium/large sweet onion. Cook them until they caramelize.

4. Once the onions are caramelized place all of the dip ingredients into a food processor and blend until blended (Okay, there might be a better way to say that but I just can't think of it at the moment) then TA DA, your dip is finished! (go ahead, taste it, I know I did!)

Okay, now back to the zucchini!
5. Rinse the zucchini to get the salt off, then pat them dry (I used paper Towels).
Right about now you will probably want to preheat your oven to about 425°F. If you have parchment paper go ahead and use it, if not just make sure to spray your baking sheet.

6. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese & Italian seasonings in a bowl.

7. In a separate bowl crack open 2 eggs & scramble them. :)

8. Once you are ready & your zucchini is dried from access water dip a slice or two into the egg mixture & then in to the bread crumb mixture then place them on your baking sheet. Repeat this until all of your zucchini is ready to be baked.

Bake @ 425°F for 10-12 minutes, take out of the oven, flip & bake for an additional 10-12 minutes.

Approximate Prepare/Wait/Bake time: 1 hr & 30 min.

This is the final outcome!
SssOooo Yummmy!

Here are are couple thoughts I think I should share.
*Okay, so when I made this I used Italian bread crumbs because I didn't have panko bread crumbs, when i read the recipe all I saw was "bread crumbs".. apparently panko bread crumbs have a very crunchy outcome so I will definitely try them next time, but to be completely honest mine had a good crunch to them w/ just regular bread crumbs...
*The Original Sweet Onion Dip called for 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar... I don't like vinegar so I didn't use it & I definitely didn't miss it out by not using it.

Overall this recipe is rated an 9 in my book. I will definitely make again. I sure hope you try it! 





No comments:

Post a Comment